photo headerfinal_zps84abaf84.png
 photo home_zps4949f88b.png photo about_zpsa304bf72.png photo press_zps4c826338.png photo collaborate_zps1e6a7452.png photo read_zps3fbf2a3c.png photo contact_zps43eca946.png

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Help

 

I finally finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett this weekend. I am not going to do a review of this book because some have found it to be controversial and my blog is not controversial, only fun :-) But I did want to bring it up because of the review on the front cover. NPR had compared it to being with the likes of "To Kill a Mockingbird." I was required to read "To Kill a Mockingbird" in one of my English classes in highschool. Will my kids be required to read "The Help" when they reach highschool? If this is the case, I think it is pretty amazing to be living through a time that a book with that much influence was published. If that happens...
One thing I would like to note, Kathryn Stockett wrote in one of my favorite styles. I love when authors define the chapters by Characters. I love transitioning back and forth through different character voices and personalities. And I do believe Kathryn did an amazing job of defining each and every character. They all had such strong personalities that leaped from the pages. I did enjoy reading about such characters. It kept me intrigued and wanting to learn more about them. 

I know I'm a little late finishing this book. I still need to see the movie too. I ALWAYS try reading the books before seeing the movies. I think the books are better and I don't want the movie to ruin it for me. I've been behind on my reading, but with the Holidays around the corner, colder weather keeping us inside, I feel like I'll be back on the reading wagon soon! 

If you are reading this from Colorado, hope you are enjoying a Snow Day!

1 comment:

Jennʻs Adventureʻs said...

I ended up not reading the book -- I gave it to my Dad to read, and he really wants to see the movie. I'll definitely grab it when it's out on DVD:)